Friday 8 July 2011

5 things I have learnt about making a quilt

The whole point of this exercise has been to have a look at what may cause problems and have a practice before I start working with loads of expensive fabric.

1. Make sure your squares are cut accurately. Mine were not, I didn't square them off (lazy) and a few were a little out, this actually had an impact on my quilting, making it look out.


2. Don't take your pins out until you have run some quilting stitches over every block, or you will end up with a pucker.


3. Cutting binding stripes is more difficult than it looks, getting them a uniform width is tricky, and really noticeable when you connect the stripes together. It's also a problem when you sew them on as they don't sit well at the back of the quilt.


4. Leave a bigger tail of binding to connect together. It's tricky when there is just enough space to sew and nothing more.

5. I will not be able to produce a big quilt at my usual sewing station. I will need room, lots of room.

My mother was very bemused by this project. She kept asking what was I going to use this tiny quilt for and didn't get that it was just a little test to see where some of the pitfalls lay. I am still a way off piecing my quilt together but I am ready to start something new and see if I can iron some of the problems I encountered out and to see what new ones I can discover.

No comments: