Wednesday 6 July 2011

A new project - test quilt- day 1

I have been toying with the idea of tackling a little patchwork for a while. So when my search for a new throw for our bed was unsatisfactory I decided, and even said it out loud to my OH, that I was going to make a quilted throw.


Now not for nothing have I admired these fabulous creations from afar, they look hard and I reckon I need a whole new skill set to follow one through to completion. After much procrastination I found myself in front of my sewing machine last night with a little time on my hands. I decided a test run was in order.

I have been accumulating a nice collection of pre-cuts but I didn't want to do my first test run with them, so I hunted around for a some pretty Japanese scraps I had bought ages ago. They were all cut to 5' squares so I pieced them together. I discovered a little too late that they weren't all exactly the same size, but they were quite close. I selected a piece of Ikea material for the backing, that I had picked up free from a resource outlet. It had at one stage been a sofa cover but I hacked it into chunks of material for practice projects and dug around until I found a piece of wadding I had picked up at some time (probably from the reduced bin in Dunelm Mill). So I was ready to go.

I sewed  9 pieces together and pinned the backing & wadding and then ran up some quilting lines.

My finished 9 squares

A close up on my quilting

The backing
To this point I have spent an hour and am pretty pleased with the outcome so far. I am looking at this as a learning experience. Tomorrow the binding.....

No comments: