Monday 5 April 2010

Easter Cushion Gift

I always try to make something for my mum at easter. A few years ago I made a little felt rabbit, last year I made a chicken from a Sew Mama Sew tutorial, This year I saw a cushion made by Amy from Badskirt and it inspired me to make something similar but simpler for my mum's gift. The thing is I have never made a cushion cover or machine appliquéd. In my head it seemed easy enough and I insert zips into my pouches, so it should be no big deal. I have been toying around with this idea for a few days, but never got round to starting it,

Yesterday we were due for Easter dinner by 2pm and it's an hour drive to get there. We like to arrive early to help with the final touches, which means we usually leave at about 12ish. So instead of getting up early to start this new and unknown project, I chilled out in bed and watched the Grand Prix and didn't get started until 11.20am!!! I was doing well until I realized I had cut out 2 of the birds the wrong way round and didn't like one of the original fabrics I had chosen, so I had to start again. However, I did get it finished and we were in the car by 12.20pm. I was pretty pleased with the outcome (and the speed), there were a couple of things I would differently -like give my self more time :) - but my mum was super pleased and proudly showed it to all who attended today.

Not as good as Amy's but a job well done, I think I may give another one a go.

No comments: