Tuesday 6 April 2010

9 Tips for Craft Fairs

I posted on Etsy forum about craft fairs and I thought I would post about it here as well in a bit more detail. I am no expert and do not claim to be, I do about 6 fairs a year, here are some of my tips.


1. Pick your fair carefully. Venues and timing makes a real difference. Christmas is a massive time for me but small fairs aren't quite as good. So I am better shelling out for the big fairs and doing less of them. Better return for my time.

2. Target your customers. Not every fair lends itself to the same sort of stock. I do 1 or 2 summer fairs and I always bring more mini clutches (purses) because people are more likely to make these smaller purchases.

3. Have a unique selling patter. I like to draw people in - for me it is talking about the fabrics I use, where they come from, why I picked them. It is less "hard selling" and more getting them to do more than lift a bag, set it down and walk on. It also means they are more likely to come back or check out my website. Talk lots about your items being handmade locally. People often assume that products are bought in and sold on. Local produce is big.

4. Practice setting up your table. This is my big weakness. I want to put every bag on show, but I can't the tables are tiny. I sometimes over clutter and need to take stuff back off. I always tell my customers I have loads more that aren't on show. It would be the first time a customer is behind my table poking in my stock boxes.

5. Business cards. Make them pretty. Thrust them on everyone - if they can't remeber your name they will never check you outwhen they get home. Make them useful -I have calenders printed on the back of mine and stumped up for a glossy finish. I know I usually keep a card with a  calender.

6. Lighting. This can really make you items pop. I don't shell out for electricity at every fair - £30 a day ($45) is just too much - but if it's free or a couple of pound I pay for it. It really makes a difference when it starts to get a little darker.

7. Try not to look like a market trader. I know it's cold and you want to wrap up but do you really need to wear your entire wardrobe - especially that raggy old jumper that is so warm. Invest in good quality thermals - socks, undershirts, even longjohns. Wrap a pretty scarf around your neck, pop a cute hat on. Wear your good coat when selling if your really cold, just not your hiking gear. Your image is everything, you are a crafter, creator, artist, you want people to buy the idea, the concept of your work. Bring your super warm stuff for setting up and taking back down when your customers are gone.

8. Bring food. This might seem obvious but you don't want to spend all your profit on coffee. Or worse still get there and realise there are no food outlets. I know you think "what sort of fair doesn't have a few food stalls for the visitors" but I went to one last year that had the food products separated in another tent 1/2 a mile from the craft tent - a big country estate fair! There was one coffee stand and no food stands within easy reach. I always pack a good picnic - rolls, crisps, bakery items, tea break nibbles and a big thermos, we don't always eat what we bring, but it's there just in case we need a pick me up.

9. Believe. This is the hardest thing to do with your own work. For my first fair my friend called in to keep us company for a bit and she was a master, very engaging, but she had nothing to lose if someone said they didn't like a bag, she didn't make it. Now it doesn't bother me as much. If someone makes a comment I don't take it to heart because I know my product is good and well made.

3 comments:

cabin + cub said...

great tips! i have one coming up in may.... lots of prep to be done still...eep~

katie hanson said...

I think these are great tips. I had a booth in a fair in December and it just went horribly. I was really down about it, maybe that was more my fault than I wanted to admit...
I found your blog through the Etsy forums and just wanted to say hi and that you have a new follower! Have a beautiful week!

xo, Katie
http://www.kateandoli.blogspot.com

Liesl said...

Excellent tips! :)