Sunday 19 April 2009

Craft Fair

On Friday morning I attended the annual Stitch and Creative Craft Show, it's a great opportunity to get some new supplies and look at new ideas. It is always a dangerous place for me because there is so much fabric for sale.


I was able to purchase some fantastic new fabrics and a couple of sewing books. I did get a chance to look at some new sewing machines, I have been toying with the idea of buying a new machine. My current machine is a basic sewing machine from Brother, which was very cheap and was never bought with the purpose of doing anything other than doodling around on.

It does button holes, straight and zigzag stitches. The machine I was looking at was did embroidery stitches and letters. It was electronic; with buttons to speed up the stitches and lift the sewing foot. It was very impressive but my big concern was about it breaking. When my current machine coughs and stops working, I get out my screwdriver and take it apart, clean out all the bits, put it back together again and usually it works, if not I do it all again. If it is electronic then firstly that means more things can go wrong and secondly it is unlikely I would be able to fix it with just a screw driver. This machine just purred when it sewed. So I'm on the fence about the whole thing. I don't really need a machine that is all singing and dancing, I really only need straight stitches, but I would really love one that sings and dances.

No comments: