Tuesday 14 April 2009

1 Year Old Today

My Etsy shop has been up and running 1 year today.

It's hard to believe that it's been a year. The first few weeks were nerve racking, it took 2 days to get my first 2 hearts (admirers) and it 2 weeks to make my first sale. Now I have over 100 sales and more than 1300 hearts.

Things have changed a lot in the last 12months, my first bag took me 2-3 hours to sew and nearly an hour to actually load up unto the site. Now I can whip up one in about 2o minutes with no loss in quality and have it posted in about 10 minutes. My photographs are much better now, with no grey backgrounds present, although I still use pet setting to take them.

I changed my avatar, so as to better represent my business from:

The cutest cocker spaniel puppies in the world

to

My first bag sold and one of my all time favourites - The Monkwell

The best thing is my fabric collection; it has exploded in size and now I have a good reason to buy more, not that I really need a reason. I think the coolest thing is knowing people want to buy something I make and not just because they know me, but because they like it.

I have learnt so much this past year both selling online and from my Christmas craft fair about business, selling, promoting my bags and working with customers. I know I probably still have much to learn, but I like learning, it's my business after all.

This adventure was supposed to be a fun little experiment, that relieved stress and gave me somewhere to put the things I made (I was running out of friends to give my stuff to). It has now grown into a fully fledged business, that often causes it's own stress, which I love. People sometimes ask " Are you still making those handbags?" and I reply yes and I love it. Long may it continue.

No comments: